Watching the Rose Parade, whether live or on television, is one of the most awaited New Year’s Day traditions in the US. It currently draws a live audience made up of approximately 700,000 on the parade route, as well as millions of televised viewers not just in the US but all over the world. Next year, the Rose Parade 2017 will return to its home city of Pasadena, California on January 2, 2017, with the theme “Echoes of Success.”
The Rose Parade 2017 invokes the “Never on a Sunday” tradition.
Traditionally, the Rose Parade has been held every New Year’s Day since its foundation by Pasadena’s Valley Hunt Club in 1890. However, the Parade has a standing rule that it will never be held on a Sunday, a rule borne out of the desire not to disrupt Sunday church services in Pasadena. The Rose Parade 2017 will observe this “Never on a Sunday” practice; because New Year’s Day 2017 falls on a Sunday, the parade will be held the following Monday at 8:00 AM.
The Parade is expected to take five and a half miles in two hours. The procession will begin at the corner of Orange Grove Boulevard and Green Street and will proceed northward along Orange Grove. From Orange Grove, the procession will turn eastward on Colorado Boulevard. Then it will take another turn north at Sierra Madre Boulevard and finally end at Villa Street.
The Rose Parade typically features floats, marching bands, and equestrian units. For the Rose Parade 2017, there will be 44 participating floats, 22 marching bands, and 19 equestrian groups with 400 horses. To observe the “Echoes of Success” theme, Olympiads Janet Evans, Allyson Felix, and Greg Louganis will serve as the Grand Marshals of the Parade.
Penn State and USC face off at the 2017 Rose Bowl Game.
For football fans all over the US, the Rose Parade event is more than just the procession of floats along the main streets of Pasadena. To them, the highlight of the event is the annual Rose Bowl Game, held at the Rose Bowl Stadium.
The Rose Bowl Game, sponsored this year by Northwestern Mutual, is considered “The Granddaddy of Them All.” It means the Rose Bowl Game is the oldest bowl game in the US, first played in 1902.
The 2017 Rose Bowl Game will be a contest between the Pennsylvania State University’s Nittany Lions and the University of South Carolina’s Trojans. This will be the third time Penn State and USC will be facing off at the Rose Bowl. The first time was during the inaugural game at Rose Bowl Stadium in 1923, and the second one in 2009. Penn State has yet to win the Rose Bowl against USC.
Make the most of the Rose Parade 2017 with these tips.
Are you going to watch the Rose Parade 2017 right at the parade grounds? Then here are a few tips to help you make the most of your parade-viewing.
- If you want the best views of the procession, then you should score grandstand tickets. They’re still available as of this writing. Each ticket costs $58.
- If you prefer to take your chances at viewing the procession from the curbside, then you need to come as early as you can. Better yet, go find a spot as early as noon of January 1, 2017 and camp there overnight.
- A legend behind the “Never on a Sunday” rule of the Rose Parade is the rule was made as a deal with God so it wouldn’t rain on the day of the Parade. While it’s true that it seldom rains during the Rose Parade, there have been instances in which it did rain. So make sure you prepare and dress for cold weather before heading out to Orange Grove Boulevard for the Parade.
- Bring enough water and food for the duration of the parade, more if you’re camping at your spot.
- If you own a drone for aerial photography, best leave it at home or risk it being impounded during the parade.
- The parade grounds are not a safe place for pets. Best leave your pets at home or at a nearby kennel.
- If you’re watching the parade with young kids, keep them well in hand.
You’ll find more tips for enjoying the Rose Parade here.
The Rose Parade is a grand American New Year tradition that you need to see live at least once in your lifetime. Make sure you don’t miss the Rose Parade 2017.
Check out these top hotels in Pasadena near the Rose Parade route.
Featured image from Pacific Southwest Region/Wikimedia Commons